Total Pageviews

Wednesday 7 January 2009

Ouch !

today was a riding lesson day , my instructor asked me what I'd like to do and foolishly I said ' I want to work hard and polish a skill ' !! So that 's what we did , we practiced jumping . Now jumping is pretty scary for me , it requires lots of elements at once and some I find quite hard , cantering in circles is my big nightmare , and of course I canter in a semi-circle to approach the jumps. Plus jumping position is soo uncomfortable - stand up , bottom out , heels down , shoulders back , breathe .....
Anyway, add to this a new outdoor school which is causing the horses a degree of excitement and skittishness , and you could almost predict disaster . Not quite disaster , but after 45 mins when I 'd done quite well , and jumped quite well and cantered in circles , a magnificent flying buck from Murphy and I landed firmly in the sand! having soared through the air with the greatest of ease ( nobody told me flying was part of the deal ) OUCH!

I did what you have to do , and got straight back on and started again - a little walking , a bit of trotting , a few circles and then a build to canter . First 'ask' we cantered OK , so we did it again with a circle in mind , and then it happened again - I fell off ! All my fault this time - I was slightly unbalanced and lost my nerve , panicked slightly and BANG I hit the dirt again . Double OUCH !

Repeat the above , except this time I stopped at a trot circle and no more accidents . But boy am I sore now - I didn't soak in the bath , that just makes it worse , but I shall be really sore by tomorrow !!

2 comments:

Eliane said...

I thought this riding malarkey was supposed to be fun! Am reconsidering plan to take it up some time...

Suzanne@ Panteg Alpacas said...

Don't let me put you off - the up side is that I have no fear of falling off and soo I push myself a bit harder . If you fancy giving it a try then come with me