Total Pageviews

Saturday 9 October 2010

Diatomaceous earth

I think this stuff is great ! Recommended to me by another breeder , its uses seem to be wide and fantastic.

So far I use it in the alpaca hard feed and it seems to be keeping them all worm free according to the latest lab results - no chemicals , no resistance , a perfectly natural remedy .

Its second use for me is even more impressive - I use it in the chicken houses and it keeps the dreaded red mite at bay. We have fought long and hard to keep the mite away , and it has been a case of keeping it under manageable numbers rather than gone for good , but 3 weeks after putting diatomaceous earth in with their bedding there is not a mite to be found - fantastic!

It is fine like talcum powder , but made of fine crushed diatoms, which apparently have razor sharp edges for the mites and worms etc. which causes then to be sliced open and die - think thats right - but any way it works and it works very well - fab !

3 comments:

Eliane said...

Whoops. I was using it over a year ago. I just assumed you knew about it since I was such a chicken novice... It is good stuff. I don't think we ever really had problems with mites.

Lois Evensen said...

Pretty cool. I've heard of it before, but didn't realize it could be put in feed for animals. I have just heard of it being sprinkled on animal bedding.... We learn something new every day. :)

Unknown said...

I like very much this article, but i found

someting more interesting here
what is diatomaceous