Total Pageviews

Friday 30 April 2010

surprises

The weather has been lovely , and the alpaca have been making the most of the gorgeous sunshine . Today , I did some pregnancy testing , and got a couple of surprises - Riva isn't pregnant going by the joyous greeting she gave West when she saw him . That is a shame ,but hey ho . Artemis was very keen to make friends with West ( little hussy) as was Acantha and Veronica. I wasn't expecting any of them to be pregnant , so Veronica was the first to be mated this season. Kirsty did a runner as soon as she saw West , so I didn't get a chance for a close encounter - the jury is still out on her status.Then came the surprises, Hermione is now 4 and a half , and for 3 years we have been trying to mate her with no success. Today , she went berserk and turned into the resident spit fountain , I have my fingers firmly crossed, interestingly , just before I went outside I had been reading an article on an alpaca forum in the states which was specifically saying that big boned animals ( Hermione ) and those with accoyo( Hermione) take longer to mature and may not be mate able until 3 or 4 years old ! How spooky is that. Athena was the next surprise - the jury is still out , but it looks promising - she spat at West , and after much sniffing he didn't even try mating with her , can the males tell I wonder?

The chicks were due to hatch today, and sure enough last night I saw a few piping . By this morning we had 7 chicks, 6 were bouncing and one looked distinctly dodgy , but tonight we have 14 healthy chicks including the dodgy one . I am really pleased- 5 barnevelders, 5 buff Sussex and 4 heinz 57 from my own flock. Currently they are all flaked out in the incubator like a huge chick carpet.

4 comments:

Millie said...

Congrats on the the hatching chicks. Would love to see them. I found the fact about big boned animals maturing more slowly interesting. I know nothing about alpaca.

Rosemary said...

What you say about Hermione is very interesting - My Islay is also a big boned girl and we have not managed to mate her succesfully up until now but there is a possibility she just might be pregnant this time! We'll see!

mrsjohn said...

Hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this useful information and i will let know my friends as well.
flowers to australia
flowers in australia
flower delivery australia

Social Bookmarking Service said...

Nice one, I'll keep on visiting this blog every-time i'll be online, I will get to know more information.