Total Pageviews

Saturday 28 November 2009

Another first!

SNOW! in November! The tops of the hills were covered this morning , the children were very excited , the rest of us ( DH , me and the pacas) were filled with dread .

Also , the pipes froze , I think , anyway there was no water this morning for a couple of hours , now supply is normal, luckily. All of this spurred us on to great things - we moved all of the furniture out of the second stable , beds and mattresses came inside , as did a very large sofa ( with some help from our friends ) , so I can sleep better knowing that all the soft furnishings are inside , and the alpacas can use enough stabling to keep them all dry and warm. Sods law - my mega torch has gone bust! So tonight , in the sleet I was trying to get the alpacas in using a head torch with a failing battery , at one point I tripped over Cerys who had refused to get up! Eventually I did manage to get them into the stables and everyone was settled and feeding on some nice hay ! Oh , and we manged to get some paving stones down , to extend the hard standing - the mud is SOOO bad .

New Years resolution #1 - a big spanking new barn for the pacas!

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

It is also my New Year resolution! I don't know what is worse - snow, or all the rain we are having. The newly weaned cria look so sad, wet and muddy. Glad you are getting everything into the house!

Knapper Alpakka said...

The alpacas can handle sleet and snow just fine. Our alpacas are out all year, and we can have anything from +30C and more in summer to -30C in winter with lots of snow, and the alpacas handle it fine.